Tuscan Kale Frittata
Return to the Resources
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
- 6 Ribs of Lacinato Kale – Rib removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 2 Small White Onions – Diced small
- 2 Small Red Potatoes (~ 1 cup) – Cut in half lengthways and then sliced widthways paper-thin – Store in water if more than 10 mins away from cooking
- 6 Cloves Garlic – Minced
- ½ Cup Grape Tomatoes – Halved
- 10 Small Eggs – Whisked
- 2 Tbsp 35% Cream
- 1 tsp Rosemary Leaves – Finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil – (½ tsp for potatoes and 1.5 tbsp for onions)
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Water
- ½ Cup Parmesan Cheese – Rasped (Or grated finely)
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F on bake. And lightly grease a 9” glass casserole dish.
- Prepare ingredients, wash and chop everything up. Have measuring spoons, oils, and spices on hand.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan to med-high. Heat 1.5 Tbsp of olive oil (to test if hot enough add a tiny splash of water to see if the oil crackles). Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Turn in the pan a few times to avoid sticking and ensure uniform colour. Fry on med-high until a little brown (no blackening), once a little colour has been achieved reduce the heat to low and let slowly caramelize.
- Keep an eye on onions caramelizing, turning now and then. If really dry add a tad more oil.
- In another non-stick frying pan heated to medium, add 1Tbsp of butter and ½ tsp of olive oil. Add garlic, potatoes (separate slices, so they can cook evenly), rosemary, paprika and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté until potatoes are tender (not mushy but not hard. ~ 5 mins), turning frequently and separating any potato slices that are stuck together. Ensure the pan doesn’t get too dry, add a splash of oil or water if the case.
- Once the potatoes are tender, add the tomatoes, sauté for 1 min. Then add kale and 1 Tbsp of water, cover with a lid for 30 seconds. Remove lid and stir with a wooden spoon to fully wilt and coat the kale. Be careful not to break up the potatoes too much. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Check on onions – Once a nice caramel colour has been achieved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Beat eggs and cream in a bowl until thoroughly combined and fluid.
- Combine vegetable ingredients in a large bowl, fold until ingredients are evenly distributed. Add egg, combine well and quickly. Then add cheese, also combine well and quickly.
- Transfer mixture into the casserole dish, scraping the bowl clean with a spatula. The mixture should be about ¾ up the way of the dish to allow for some expansion. If you have too much mixture, add some to a greased ramekin and bake for 10 mins for a smaller snack!
- Put the frittata in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 20 mins or until the centre of the frittata has domed or there is a diameter < 1cm of watery mixture in the centre.
- Remove from oven, let stand for 5 mins before cutting. Serve and enjoy!