Reducing food waste is one of the most effective ways to reduce the overall greenhouse gas footprint of the food supply.
- Plan your week and shop for all that you need. Start by taking an inventory of what you have in your fridge, freezer, and pantry.
- Buy what you need and try to use it up.
- If you can, shop for 2 or 3 days at a time.
- If you need to do larger shopping trips, consider purchasing more frozen fruits, vegetables, and proteins.
- Try to plan when to take a day off from cooking so you aren’t buying food that won’t be used.
- Don’t throw those leftovers away. Plan on having leftovers to enjoy the following day or freeze in individual portion sizes for a quick and easy meal you can defrost.
- Reimagine leftovers. Repurpose grilled vegetables in a quiche or add to a delicious soup.
- If you are unable to use all of your fresh ingredients – freeze them for another time.
Learn more below.