BC Seed Mentorship Program
In 2024, dependent upon funding, we will place between 6-10 new seed growers with experienced seed grower mentors throughout the province. Through phone, email, and in-person correspondence, mentors will help guide new seed growers through the season, sharing their experience and insight. This program will focus on seed production for annual and biennial vegetable crops.
The mentorship will begin in April and continue to the end of the season (November), taking the mentee from seed to seed along the way. Mentees will receive approximately 25 hours or more of support from mentors.
FFCF Program Coordinators will correspond with mentors and mentees throughout the season with program updates and to provide logistical support.
This program aims to:
- Introduce new farmers and seed growers to basic vegetable seed growing concepts
- Offer guidance to new seed growers as they plan & manage their vegetable seed crops
- Offer in-field experience handling crops allocated for seed production
- Offer advice on growing, harvesting, & processing seeds for sale, trade, & personal use
- Build confidence in new seed growers
- Strengthen BC’s network of seed growers, mentors, and sustainable agriculturalists
- Connect new seed growers and mentees with each other and other growers throughout BC
- Identify and engage experienced and new seed growers throughout BC
- Upon project completion, the mentor will receive an $850 remuneration for sharing their skills and time
- Upon project completion, the mentee can request a $150 remuneration for travel or project costs
Selected mentees and mentors will be informed of their acceptance into the program in early April at which time program coordinators will connect the matched mentorship pairs.
For more information on this program please contact Lisa: email@example.com.